Saturday, August 6, 2011

I Hate Henry Cavill for Superman


I am an extreme kind of person. For me, it's usually black or white, hot or cold. No in between. So it would seem to a casual observer that I am usually apathetic about A LOT of THINGS in this world which further adds to my belief that I am a weird person because how come I view the world so differently from most people and how come I don't care about a lot of things that other people care about like gossip, crab mentality, fame, wealth at the expense of dignity, etc... etc...

The past few days for example, I merely sat down as the DTI issue among bloggers became a hot item. And more recently, I practically slept over the whole Christopher Lao issue which made him a laughingstock on the internet. Suffice it to say that it's true, I usually don't care about a lot of stuff happening around me until... Peter showed me a photo of the new Superman movie character. My insides were stirred and immediately, I couldn't help voicing out my disappointment. I was broken hearted. Told yah, no in between for this girl.

So, the new role was given to Henry Cavill who I'm sure is a great guy, is probably a good actor having done a number of films in the past. Plus, he caught the attention of the new Superman movie director Chris Nolan, who is touted to be the the modern day Alfred Hitchcock in film making so he must really have something that all those other handsome actors vying for the role don't.

Anyway, my point is why Henry Cavill?

I'm no comic geek but I do appreciate all the comic books from DC and Marvel that I have purchased and read... I am thankful for films that value great script writing... I like stories that tug at my heart... but for the Superman role, why him?

Just so you know where my sentiments are coming from, I grew up wanting to marry Superman because of Christopher Reeve. I actually have a collection of all four Superman movies + Supergirl. Just like my Harry Potter movie collection, I watch these movies when I'm sad, when I'm happy, when I have nothing better to do. They're my constant companions especially when my husband is not around. Thor and Iron Man 1 have also begun to garner that kind of status in my heart.


Anyway, I still consider Christopher Reeve the best actor the film industry has ever gotten for the role of Superman.


Brandon Routh could've been great for the role if not for the loser script of Superman Returns which did not, at all, respect the canon. Tom Welling is okay too although Smallville is a totally different universe from Superman but I'm sure he could've given something more to the role having played Clark Kent for ten seasons now.

So why Henry Cavill?


Yes, the costume looks perfect and with Chris Nolan directing the new Superman movie, I have faith that it will turn out great. But still, the actor they got for the lead role is "blah". He is ugly to be Superman. He doesn't have the charm that the Superman I got used to seeing in movies growing up has. He doesn't even look like a lead role character, he looks like a villain.


For me at least, Superman should look like somebody girls would drool over... somebody who women would like to bring home to their mommas. Henry Cavill's features are not even that strong and yet he still looks like the bad guy. So why him??? I'm sure it will take A LOT of make up and hair care to make him deserving of the Superman look. I just hate it! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.

Okay, enough said. I've already wasted a lot of energy as it is. I just wanted to let it all out.


2 comments:

  1. While everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. . . . . I disagree with your hatred. Henry is a gifted actor and is definitely the most gorgeous man I have ever seen (yes, that is MY opinion). He is also someone I would take home to my mother (if I wasn't already married :). I am not a Super Man fan - but am going to see this movie just because Henry is in it. Looking forward to seeing more of him in the future. Give him a chance. . . . . obviously you have not watched The Tudors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,

    I appreciate the comment.

    I have watched The Tudors and Stardust and I couldn't even remember he was in those movies. That was how insignificant he was for me. All I know, after having realized that those characters were Henry, is that he can change appearances based on his character so maybe he can look as handsome as I want Superman to be. Let's see. :)

    ReplyDelete

Share This Post

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails